Otters Holding Hands

Monday, November 12, 2007

week 7 #17 My thoughts on technology

I love technology and I hate technology. The internet has been down at my house for two weeks thanks to the phone company!!! I realize how much I depend on the internet when it is gone and I love the services, but I have become dependant on them so when it doesn't work I am helpless. I have no idea how much money I have in the bank, which bills have been paid or who won the cowboys game last night. I cannot track my UPS packages, I cannot see next weeks lunch menu from home, but most importantly I am not connected to my office email 24-7. But the cool part is that I have survived this 2 week internet famine. I have visited the library after my shift and on weekends, I have gone to friends houses I have had to go out of my way to get plugged in, but I have done it. So I feel confident about using most aspects of technology, computers, cameras, you know...useful tools. However, I cannot figure out the remote at my house. I cannot change the tv channel. I cannot change the volume and I have trouble with the dvd player. At some point I want to conquer these too.

1 comment:

mhinkle said...

I agree that technology can be both useful and frustrating. I have found that the internet is a good source of information. I've also found that there are times when a page won't load because of heavy use or the connection is too slow. As far as DVD players go, I was talking with my Mom over our cell phones and ended up walking her through the set up proces so she could play her DVD's. It was different setting up a DVD player over the phone, but proves how much we depend on technology.